Tuesday, 3 July 2012

These boots were not made for walking

Firsty hello to my fabulous new followers and thank you for all the wonderful comments:)

Last week I went to London with my sister Dorothy because she wanted to see the Christian Louboutin exhibition at the Design Museum. And how is a girl to resist?
Despite her turning up an hour late, I had a leisurely stroll over Tower Bridge and watched an Indian film being filmed outside the Museum. It was surprisingly fascinating.

Cameras weren't allowed and my sketch book decided to run out the day before so I had to doodle on some lino paper I had stylishly stuffed into my bag.

The exhibition was perfectly set out. Shoe carousels, garden displays and a 3D hologram of Miss Dita Von Teese stripping and strutting in beautiful lingerie and beautiful shoes.

There was information surrounding Mr Louboutin's designing mannerisms, his studio and his manifesto. He aspires to create shoes that emphasise the female arch and slender ankles. A few years ago he created the Fetish line. The shoes were worn by two dancers. The lighting was pretty bad in this section so didn't get any decent drawings. But the shoes were designed such that the heel was longer than the rest of the shoe so the foot was completely unbalanced. The heels of one pair were glued together to create a distorted ballet pose and one pair was a metal sole with studs both above and below, aptly called the Fakir.

In all the exhibition was stunning, mostly because the shoes were all little works of art. Completely impractical but beautiful. Mr Louboutin wanted them to be sexy, that was his primary aim. Comfort doesn't come into that...

 I love these boots- Ariella Clou. I have a current minor obsession with things with studs on, whether it's jewellery, coats, trousers, shoes etc. Georgina from Cupcake's Clothes wore a fantastic headband in one of her posts. So yes, these boots are amazing. They also look really comfy. Something which can't be said for most of the shoes. The expected red sole offsets the whole look I feel.

This came out far more washed-out than I wanted, but these are military-styled boots with a cut-out heel aptly named Attention. As with studs, military is another theme I love. It may be because I love a man in uniform (*cough* Prince Harry *cough*.) The detail I like most in these boots is the cut-out heel. I've come to the conclusion that many people have very hard heels and so the willingness to so obviously point out this body part must show a high-level of grooming. Just me? I don't know. But I LIKE it.

 These two shoes Bridget Strass and Tsar were definitely in my top ten. Bridget Strass were gold, lace and black, a perfect seductive combination. And they were sparkly. I appreciate that in a pair of shoes. Plus, if the chance ever arose, I would actually be able to walk/wear these bad boys. Tsar were so romantic. The big white flower at the toe, the sheer lace sides and the sparkly heel. Like a modern day glass slipper. If I ever write a Cinderella story to add to the thousands already out there my heroine shall wear these shoes. Or Docs. I'm undecided on this one...
 Lady Max and Kriptonite both had spikes on. I like me a fierce pair of shoes and these ones were fabulous. The Kriptonite ones especially with the spiked toes, sheer sides with darker flat studs and the icicle-like spikes on the heel were spectacular. I would (if I had the money) by these for my mantlepiece. Or at least to throw at unwanted intruders.
Lady Max strikes me as a reference to Mad Max. Is that just me? The shoes were gold with spikes at the band joinings. Apparently they're remaking Mad Max. With Tom Hardy. I'll have me some of that.

So after the Design Museum we went to the National Portrait because I haven't been there in a while and I love portraiture. Whilst we were in one of the rooms an artist and a bunch of older women shuffled in with some materials and began to do some drawing. So we joined in. The room we were in at the time was 1900-1950 so the pictures and busts were all Winston Churchill, World War pilots (hello men in uniform) and other high profile figures at the time. I choose to do Nye Bevin and Ralph Vaughan Williams, because Nye had a great face and worked with my great-grandfather and RVW wrote Fantasia on Thomas Tallis. It's on the Master and Commander soudtrack (more men in uniform...) and is simply wonderful.
So yes, here are my charcoal drawings from that.

 Nye
RVW

I hope you are all having a fabulous week. Thank you again for all the lovely comments, they mean so much to me!

MMM
x

4 comments:

  1. wow your very talented! :)

    www.myladyboudoir.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so talented you take my breath away. Bevin & Vaughan Williams are incredible, you can really see their strength of character and personality through your art1 x

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think, and any ideas that you have. Please also leave blog details as I'd love to get back to you! Thanks! Your comments mean a lot to me:)
MMM
x