Sunday, 8 July 2012

Waitressing...

This is just going to be a short post as I'm watching the tennis and it's pretty exciting...
The title of this post refers to my usual holiday job of waitressing, the stereotypical student job I feel. Despite the rude customers, long hours and dirty clothes, I actually enjoy it. Mostly because it makes for great people watching. The other day I was working at a local boarding school's speech day. The school itself is about 100m from the comprehensive I went to and so there were a surprisingly large amount of familiar faces who predictably ignored me when they realised I was the 'help.' As it was a speech day it meant there were some beautiful gowns in the evening.

From my experience public school girls are blonde, tanned and slim, and the guys are tall, toned and attractive. That's a sweeping generalisation but it is invariably true.

So here are a few sketches I knocked up. Annoyingly the ink spread a little as I had given myself an hour to get them done and then the Parents decided they wanted to leave an hour early to see some family friends giving me ten minutes to get ready. Including shower. Which is always lovely. So yes they are a little smudged. But oh well...
 I thought this dress was stunning. The lace detail was on a nude background, so it did actually look like she had nothing underneath. It was also very low-cut. So when she lent over we realised, yes she didn't actually have anything underneath... It was a beautiful dress though. Because of the low back with thin bands across it was very chic and was a welcome difference amongst the poufy, sparkley dresses. Very gothic glamour, which my sister informed me is 'in' this season...
 This look was sported by one of the teachers. He was quite a big guy, but the classic green velvet jacket was super stylish. I loved the vintage look it gave to the classic black-tie theme. The cuffs had the same braid that fastened the jacket. Very dapper...
 This was my favourite dress of the evening. Mostly because the girl went against the stereotype with pale skin, dark brown hair and was easily a size 14. The dress was one-shouldered with a high waist. The colour was a pale nude with a chiffon sparky layer. So beautiful, and she looked stunning in it. I just loved the Grecian influence.
There's always one isn't there? The one who goes out of their way to stand out. And there's nothing wrong with that. For my leavers' ball I wore a vintage 1950s cocktail dress and purposefully made it as retro as possible. Which was fun amidst the short clubbing dresses everyone else wore. This gentleman went for a top hat and cane. And he suited it too ;)

So that's my short post. And the tennis has finished. What did you all think? My sister supported Federer because he was the best looking. I don't know what I think of that...

Hope you all had a fabulous weekend!

MMM
x

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you think, and any ideas that you have. Please also leave blog details as I'd love to get back to you! Thanks! Your comments mean a lot to me:)
MMM
x