Tuesday, 6 August 2013

STALK.

I was bored on my day off the other day and decided to Facebook stalk myself. I'm vain like that. I was initially intrigued to see how I've changed, but I noticed that my style has evolved. I say evolved, I'm not sure if it's better or worse. But I know that I wish I had the guts and figure to pull off half the things that I did. During Sixth Form I stopped playing sport and my growth spurt was slowing down so I quickly put on weight. It's only been in the last two years that I've started dressing up as much as I used to. I think it's to do with improved body confidence. I say that, but I genuinely have no idea.

A big change between me four years ago, me two years ago, and me now is that I'm shedding layers. I used to love wearing complex outfits of multiple layers whereas now I happily flash skin at any opportunity.

So here are some sketches...

 I lived in these loose navy wool trousers from GAP. They cost me £4.95 and were perfect in every situation. I wore them with my mother's vintage ankle boots, a pale pink shirt, my father's blue cardigan and a high-waisted brown belt. I love the slouchy layers that put emphasis on the legs and waist.
 This outfit was my staple uniform for school. My mother's high-waisted checked skirts, a tight v-neck jumper and waist belt. Once again heeled boots play a part. A key part of this outfit is that I'm wearing a hat. I have several hat boxes at home, but I never wear them at uni. This is something I'm determined to change.
 This is a slight variation on the previous outfit. I used to love wearing bright colours in bizarre combintaions a la Ugly Betty. Here I had a dark blue shirt with a cherry red pullover teamed with a high-waisted camel skirt. Once again the key emphasis is on the legs and the waist.
 I bought this jumpsuit for a friend's 18th the summer before I went to university. It's vintage Laura Ashley with an orange and green floral print on white cotton. I wore it with heeled yellow trainers and a waist belt. Obviously. The legs are like bloomers which makes them so comfortable, but apparently I look like a giant baby. Whatever.
 I bought this skirt from my local Cancer Research for £4. It's 1970s vintage wool in a hideous green and orange tartan. High-waisted and floor length on me. I felt sorry for it, but I love it for its absolute hideousness. I wore it with a striped Benetton shirt of my mother's. I still have this shirt and a similar one with a pink stripe instead of the yellow. they're perfect.
 This outfit was more a revelation to me because it involved a dropped-waist yellow skirt (I never wear yellow...) and a tight black t-shirt with a bolero. The proportions are all off and I would never wear a t-shirt that tight now. But I actually quite like the combination.

So that's a quick run-through of my sartorial Facebook history. It's strange that I've gone from a distinctly feminine and vibrant style to one based around neutral tones and masculine shapes.

I hope you're having a good week!

MMM
x

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you think, and any ideas that you have. Please also leave blog details as I'd love to get back to you! Thanks! Your comments mean a lot to me:)
MMM
x