Tuesday, 23 December 2014

NPG

So I've been decidedly reclusive again. Whenever art feels like a chore I tend to avoid it, because that's exactly what it shouldn't be. Last week I went to the National Portrait Gallery with my mate Stella. Every Friday at 630 they do an open drawing class. They supply all the materials and, though they do give you a task, you can draw whatever you want. The theme of the week was Grayson Perry. Sitting in the Early Stuart room we had to design a pot, either of our own self (portrait or otherwise), or of one of the characters in the room. I get strangely bored of my own self-portrait sometimes so decided to choose a delightful Dutch aristo and the Earl of Arundel.



This was the torso of the aforementioned Dutch aristo. I loved how the drapery practically melted off his shoulders.

Now for a few fashion sketches. I'm clearly out of practice...

I picked up this jerkin for £3 from a rather expensive Oxfam in Covent Garden. It's 100% Danish wool and is the perfect layering piece.

In an attempt to shake up the usual frontal poses I went for a different style in drawing my classic wool trench. It was the first item of clothing I bought when I got a summer job at 16 and it still fits a dream. The boots are from TK Maxx. I find it impossible to find shoes to fit my feet so I was willing to splash out £35 on these suede boots

I've recently had really good luck at my local charity shop, Octavia Foundation, in Tooting Broadway. A camelhair vest top, merino wool jumpers and this silk t-shirt, all for £5 or under each. I very very rarely wear red so the cropped style is perfect for pairing with high-waisted trousers.

Another item I've splashed out on is this black drill cotton dress from Gap. Supposedly a size 10 (vanity sizing...?) it fits perfectly and is so versatile.


Just a quick post there. When I finally get a break over Christmas I'm going to try to sketch a bit more, and I'll definitely be heading back to the NPG.

I hope you're all enjoying the festive period, I can't wait to head home tomorrow!

MMM
x


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you think, and any ideas that you have. Please also leave blog details as I'd love to get back to you! Thanks! Your comments mean a lot to me:)
MMM
x